Forest Grove School District Pre-Kindergarten is designed to provide Pre-Kindergarten students developmentally appropriate, linguistically and culturally rich experiences. We begin with the understanding that young students:
● Learn multiple languages, at a young age through strengthening their first language and multiple and various experiences in their second.
● Learn best through active, engaging, authentic experiences that are appropriate for their age and developmental level.
● Learn through access and exposure to culturally relevant curriculum.
● Learn best when all students feel part of their classroom community.
● Respond well to caring and attentive adults who consider and respond to them as individuals.
● Feel secure when there is structure and predictability to their day.
● Come to school rich in their unique backgrounds, experiences, and at times, special needs and they help foster the social and educational growth of their learning community, while the other children do the same for them.
● Thrive when we foster their ability to imagine, innovate and respond with curiosity and wonderment which leads to intellectual risk-taking and persistence.
We also believe that student and parent engagement increases when life experiences and home culture are integrated into the classroom curriculum
● Specialized training in early learning, equity, dual language
● SEL: PAX, Conscious Discipline